Customized Individual Instruction
I offer Custom Individual Instruction which offers a personalized learning experience designed to meet your specific needs. You can choose from a wide variety of topics and the presentation is tailored according to your skill level and your individual learning style. Instruction can be done in a “classroom” setting or “in the field” where we can capture images for editing.
For Beginner Level students, it is highly recommended to start with some classroom-style sessions to establish enough background and terminology to enable efficient and effective communication in subsequent field sessions.
All instruction will be presented to help you improve your landscape and travel photography skills.
My passion for photography is rivaled only by my passion for teaching photography and I look forward to working with you soon!
Topics We Can Cover
Here are some examples of topics that can be covered (not inclusive) :
- Effects of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed
- Metering patterns
- Autoexposure modes
- Manual Mode
- Adjustments for highlight and shadow detail
- Hyperfocal distance
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography
- Equipment for HDR photography
- Camera setup
- Infield techniques
- Basic HDR workflow
- HDR processing using third party applications such as HDR Efex Pro™ by DxO, Adobe Lightroom™ HDR or Aurora HDR™ by Skylum
- Equipment for panoramas
- Camera setup
- Infield techniques
- Basic panorama workflow
- Panorama processing Adobe Lightroom™
- Panorama processing using Adobe Photoshop™
- File structure
- Bit depth
- File formats
Digital Image Capture
- Basics of digital sensor technology
- ISO implementation for digital
- RAW vs. jpeg
- Image Noise : Causes / How to minimize
- “Expose to the right” methodology
- White Balance
- ‘Rule’ of thirds
- Placement of elements
- Repetition and patterns
- Leading Lines
- Many other composition techniques
- Focal length
- Telephoto lens technique
- Macro lenses
- Wide angle lenses
- Understanding and creating your own personalized Lightroom™ Workflow
- Understanding the Library Module
- Understanding the Development Module
- Understanding the Printing Module
- Other module discussions (i.e., Map Module, etc.)
- Panorama and HDR creation
Post-processing with Adobe Photoshop™
- RAW conversion
- Basic photoshop workflow
- Levels and curves
- Layers and masks
- Edge masks
- Noise reduction
- Sharpening : Capture, creative, and output
- Third party filters and addons such as NIK Collection™ by DxO, On1 RAW™, Luminar™ by Skylum, and others
- Ball and pan-tilt heads
- Tripod plates such as Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto plates
- Leveling base
- Bean bags
The fee for instruction is $35.00 per hour plus any applicable travel charges which will be quoted on an individual basis. To book a session, please use the form below to send me your phone number and interest and I will call to discuss your specific needs and arrange a time and place to meet.
Email Me Below for More Information!
A little bit about me . . .
Back in 1982, my Air Force roommate was in desperate need of some cash, and he had a camera. And I was in the market for a camera as I had TDY (Temporary Duty) orders for Cyprus and was looking for a good camera to take with me. So over some beers and some negotiations with my roommate (and a few hundred dollars later), I found that I had become the owner of a brand spanking new Canon AE-1 camera with an assortment of lens, including a Canon 50mm, a 35mm lens, as well as a telephoto lens.
Fast forward to today, and I am now an owner of a Canon 5D Mark II (looking to upgrade, but can’t decide on my next camera) and a bunch of Canon glass and I am primarily a landscape and travel photographer. Yea, that means that I get up before the sun rises and am out after the sun sets. Makes for interesting times!
Thank you for joining me on this photographic journey and hope to hear from you!